Changing Custody And Support After Divorce

Attorney Stephen Penn is a certified family law specialist familiar with the family court judges in San Jose, Morgan Hill and Hollister. At the Law Office of Stephen W. Penn, we use this experience and network to achieve the best possible outcomes for our clients. Even if we didn’t work with you on the original divorce proceeding, we can provide guidance on:

  • Enforcement of divorce decrees
  • Modification of custody orders
  • Modification of spousal and child support

Addressing Changes After Divorce

As the name suggests, post-divorce actions occur after a divorce, legal separation or dissolution of marriage is complete. A post-divorce modification or enforcement action acts as an alternative to appealing the divorce decree. They most often deal with enforcement of the orders made in the divorce case or modifications of spousal support.

Modifications are usually based on a change in one spouse’s circumstances that makes the original order unfair or unreasonably difficult to follow. For example, one spouse experiences a drastic reduction in income that was not foreseeable when the original divorce decree was made. Post-divorce modifications also may relate to visitation rights or decision-making authority for children.

Actions for modification of a divorce decree where children are involved have to be filed with the same judge who signed off on the order, as that court has continuing jurisdiction over the case. Our firm has worked extensively with the family courts in Santa Clara and San Benito counties, so even if we were not involved with the original divorce decree, we likely know the judge and can help with modifications.

Contact The Firm

We offer discounted initial consultations where an experienced family law attorney can review your case and help you determine the next steps. Call our offices in Morgan Hill, California, at 408-776-1525 or use our online contact form to request an appointment.